Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 479-1] New Linux 2.4.18 packages fix local root exploit (source+alpha+i386+powerpc)

Yes, any ideas how to fix this? I'm a newbie, so a bit new to Linux. When I
installed this 2.4.18 package, it blew up my network card, so I am unable to
get the new, fixed package. I thought about using apt-get remove to get rid
of the patched kernel, but somehow this seemed ungood to me, so I tried
booting from LinuxOLD, which points to the original (as far as I can tell)
vmlinuz-2.4.18-686. However, when I try this, I get the following error:

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 03:01

What do I do? Do I use apt-get remove to get rid of the patched kernel? Do I
do something else?

djr