Re: determining which patches to apply...

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:43:47PM -0600, Jeremy Choy wrote:
> Turns out that we are running a developers version of Oracle (8.1.7) in
> which are dependant on potato's library's and if we were to run apt-get it
> would break Oracle and perhaps a few other apps running.
>
> again fairly new and trying to get my head around how exacally unix works.
> if potato is no longer being supported, does that mean if there is a
> vulnerability in, let's say an old library, will they update that in woody,
> but not potato?

Both potato and woody are currently supported.  I believe the plan is to
eliminate support for potato one year after woody's release.  That would
end support for potato July 19, 2003.  At this point, when a bug is found
in an old library, both potato and woody will get updates.  The security
FAQ will probably answer many of your questions better than I can.  Check
it out, and if you still have questions feel free to continue asking.

http://www.debian.org/security/faq

John