Re: determining which patches to apply...

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:43:47PM -0600, Jeremy Choy wrote:
[ please don't top post ]

>> The original poster indicated that they were running potato.  They should
>> put the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security oldstable/updates main
>> contrib non-free
>>
>> Note that security updates for potato are scheduled to end (June?).
>> Turns out that we are running a developers version of Oracle (8.1.7) in
>> which are dependant on potato's library's and if we were to run apt-get it
>> would break Oracle and perhaps a few other apps running.
>
> again fairly new and trying to get my head around how exacally unix works.
> if potato is no longer being supported, does that mean if there is a
> vulnerability in, let's say an old library, will they update that in woody,
> but not potato?

Yes, that is what unsupported means.  You would have to backport any
packages to potato.

Note that potato is still currently supported; that support is going
to end at some point in the late spring/early summer.

Is Oracle dependent on the older libc or some other library?  Can you
use LD_PRELOAD to solve your problem?

  A young man wrote to Mozart and said:

  Q: "Herr Mozart, I am thinking of writing symphonies. Can you give me any
     suggestions as to how to get started?"