Re: determining which patches to apply...

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 03:40:11AM +0700, Jean Christophe ANDR? wrote:
> John Kuhn écrivait :
> > The original poster indicated that they were running potato.  They should
> > put the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
> > deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security oldstable/updates main contrib non-free
> > Note that security updates for potato are scheduled to end (June?).
>
> If you don't want your server to be move as soon as the new Debian stable
> gets out, you may prefer to use the nick name (potato) instead of the alias.
> So you may want to use something like:
>   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security potato/updates main contrib
> (I don't use non-free on my servers ;-))

Using potato instead of oldstable (or stable) is good advice in this case.
You should also make sure that all other lines in sources.list contain
potato instead of *stable.

Then run
   apt-get update
   apt-get --simulate upgrade

This should only apply security and other updates to fix grave package bugs.
It should not upgrade libraries to major new releases.  Your version of
Oracle should still work.  Of course I don't run this version of Oracle
so you should contact them if you are unsure.

If the upgrades in the --simulate run above look good, then do the actual
upgrades with
   apt-get upgrade

As far as not using non-free, I agree that this is a noble goal; but if
Jeremy is using some non-free packages, let's not deny him the security
updates.

John