Re: GnuPG & mutt on Woody 3.0r2.

* s. keeling [Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:52:30 -0700]:

> With help from one of the list recipients, this is now verified and
> reproducible.  Something between me and those people whose keys are
> determined by my copy of gpg to be "Bad signature", is mangling mail.
> Specifically, that something is fixing line breaks:

> -> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the ow-ner.
> +> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.

More exactly, that something is removing "=\n" sequences from
Quoted-Printable encoded mails, so the diff would read:

-> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the ow=
-ner.
+> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.

> Mail sent to me containing lines less than (ca.) eighty chars results
> in "Good signature".  Mail sent to me which includes lines longer than
> (ca.) eighty chars results in "Bad signature".

So, long lines remain long lines in the decoded message, but the Q-P
codification gets mangled and modified messages no longer have
72-or-less-chars lines (and the signature fails, as it gets applied to
the Q-P message rather than to the decoded message).

>    Debian Woody 3.0r2
>    Mutt/1.3.28i
>    Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian)
>    GNU Emacs 20.7.2
>    GnuPG 1.0.6-4
>    Procmail v3.22

At this point, I just can figure out it *might* be a broken MTA as
somebody else pointed out; but no more I can say...

All this Q-P mangling must sound familiar to someone out there. Any
hints?

Cheers.

--
Adeodato Simó (a.k.a. thibaut)
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | IM: my_dato [jabber.org] | PK: DA6AE621

Truth is the most valuable thing we have, so let's economize it.
                -- Mark Twain