Re: cracked? "rm uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)"

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 04:29:36PM +0300, Mika Bostr?m wrote:
>   You must understand that Snort, ACID or any other IDS setup does not
> provide any protection against threats. They just monitor what takes
> place in the network.
>
>   To really protect against break-ins, install a system monitor. There
> are few Tripwire-like programs. Tiger is a set of scripts, AIDE is
> perhaps the best known, Samhain is the one I've been eyeing myself.

tripwire and similar programs don't provide any protection against
break-ins.  Certainly no more than snort and other network-based IDSes.
Tripwire, Tiger, etc are "host-based" IDSes, while snort is an example
of a "network-based" IDS.  Neither provides any actual protection
against break-in, they merely help you to realize it when it happens.
They should be used in concert with each other for maximum utility.

In terms of protecting against breakin, it seems like a lot of people
here have been advocating the grsecurity kernel patch.  I have no
experience with it, but the list of features certainly makes it sound
like it will protect against some of the frequently exploited classes of
bugs.  Certainly not all of them, though.  The best thing you can do to
keep your machine secure is to simply pay attention to what's on it and
to the potential intrusion vectors that exist.  If you can minimize
those, you don't even need grsecurity.  (Though there's nothing wrong
with a little paranoia, especially now that you've already experienced a
breakin.)

noah