Re: cracked? "rm uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)"

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 at 04:13:19AM -0500, eyem wrote:
> paranoid I now am!!
>
> I always found the concept of script kiddies amusing ... but if I ever found
> this guy I'd ring his neck. Is there any way I can track him down ? (I have
> already backed up some stuff and wiped my hard drive)

You can try, but do you trust logs of a cracked system?  If you had an
uncompromised syslog server it would be more reliable b/c they can
INSERT bogus logs but not delete/modify any logs...

> After following the debian "how to secure your system" instructions, I would
> like to go a step further and install snort or something. Is that going too
> far? ... is snort the relevant thing ?

Snort in stable is old.  You may wish to compile the one in unstable and
use that one or download it from snort.org.

Here is a few keys to security:

1. Watch bug track.  If a new vuln is discivered in a service you are
running then shut it off or block it at some network boarder.

2. When a DSA comes out, apt-get uppdate and apt-get upgrade EVERY
machine.  You may wish to put this in your cron.daily or in a crontab

 @daily  apt-get -q -q -q -q update && apt-get -s -q -q -q -q upgrade

3. Don't send passwords in the clear, ever.

4. Firewall your machine/network or both.

--
Phillip Hofmeister

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/