cracked? "rm uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)"

Hello,

I think my box has been compromised...... its my first time and it is a
rather unpleasant experience!

debian woody on a p4 dell 8200 .... kernel 2.4.18 (that hasn't really been
patched at all)

I cant boot ... my system hangs on a message saying "starting portmap"

I've used a gentoo install CD to get a RAM kernel going, and to mount my hard
drive. There are some strange messages:

rm uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
eth0: Setting promiscuous mode
ppp0: Setting promiscuous mode

I found some stuff in /dev, hdx1 and hdx2 .... is that normal?

Anyway, I have no idea where to go from here.
I dont know if it will be just a couple of things to fix up, or if I should
toast my whole system: major major hasstle)

any help is appreciated

etienne