Re: Updating Snort Signatures In Stable ?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:57:13AM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 16:52, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:36:08PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> >
> > > No, you can't rebuild snort version from unstable.
> >
> > Who can't?  You can't?  I just did, and it was not only possible, but easy.
> Nick Boyce!

I'm sure he is capable of cutting and pasting a command line or two.

> > > And the snort updates?
> > Yes, they are built from the same source package.
> Will Nick do it daily,weekly or monthly? See below.

As often as he likes.  This can be completely automated if desired.
Alternatively, a volunteer could do this from time to time, and make the
packages available in a public repository.

> > Nope.  I know how to use apt, thank you very much.  And I prefer not to
> > install unstable glibc on my stable systems.
> It isn't for you!
>
> Unstable glibc is a bad idea, i known.But and about unstable snort? One
> more time, and the snort updates?

unstable snort is unavoidable, since, as has been discussed, it is important
to have the latest snort signatures, and those often require the latest
version of snort.

--
 - mdz