Re: Updating Snort Signatures In Stable ?

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 17:42, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:55:02PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
>
> > This has been discussed before.  The thing is, I think that if you're
> > serious about using snort, you should not even consider using the one in
> > Debian.  snort.org doesn't even distribute up-to-date rules files for
> > the version in stable.  So if you want to have a useful ruleset, you
> > either need to figure out how to write it for the version in stable, or
> > you need to get a new version from snort.org.  Either way, you're
> > working "outside" the Debian system.
>
> Why couldn't one just use the version from unstable (presumably building it
> from source)?

No, you can't rebuild snort version from unstable.And the snort updates?
The best alternative for you is apt-pinning feature, you can read more
about it at apt-howto[1].

With the tips you will keep a stable system plus snort from unstable
system and obviously the depends.More easy to keep updated.

[1] =
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version
This is the section 3.8, check the 3.9 below too.

cya,
Gustavo Franco -- <stratus@acm.org>