Re: XFree86 4.2 bug in Debian Testing

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 05:28:52PM +0100, Ivan Brezina wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Joseph Pingenot wrote:
>
> > >From Norbert Preining on Friday, 08 November, 2002:
> > >I think that vim-gtk tries to open a window, recognizes that this
> > >doesn't work (authorization) and starts normal text mode vi.
> >
> > Probably the easiest way to do this is, instead of using su/sudo, run
> >   ssh -X localhost.  It'll tunnel your X apps back over the tunnel.  Not
> >   as efficient,  but it'll solve permissions problems.  Or, you
> >   can have root snag your user .Xauthority file to steal the user cookies.
> >   Then you can just set display:0.0.
> >
> Another possibility is:
> su -c vim-gtk
>
> you can also use xhost +username for allowing users to connect to our
> Xserver. But this does not work for me on Debian.

 xhost is _host_ based access control, so of course xhost +username doesn't
work!  Debian by default starts X servers with -nolisten tcp, so doing xhost +
(to allow all connections) is the same as xhost +localhost, and is ok if
(and _only_ if) there are no local users you don't absolutely trust
(including trusting them not to get their accounts cracked with bad
passwords).

 I emphatically do not recommend using ssh running X stuff as root.  That is
_huge_ overhead compared to unix sockets and shared memory!  (If it's
working fine for you, then whatever, do what's easiest for you, but if
you're going to go to the trouble of learning how to jump through a hoop to
get X working, pick the right hoop!)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y