Re: Quality of security assurance with Debian vs. RedHat vs. SuSE

I can't compare Slackware to Debian, but I can credit Debian with being the first distro to give me the confidence to delete my windows partition.  I've run Mandrake 7.2 as a desktop, but still felt the need to dual boot win98.  I've tangled with Slackware and FreeBSD briefly, but installing Debian 3.0 on my workstation was the greatest thing I ever did for myself.  Security is a breeze with PAM and/or login.defs and the SystemV/init.d(?) style startup is my preference for services initiation.  XFree86-4.1 and windowmaker make for almost too pretty a desktop for a respectable unix user ;)
I also agree with Giacomo on the point that "
The wise man chooses what he is best at maintaining".  A default potato2.2 install makes for a stable and secure server for just about anyting right out of the box.  But with the ease of apt-get/dpkg and security.debian.org I feel confident running woody3.0 on all of my servers.  (7 machines on my home/business network)  The latest software releases combined with generally prompt security updates and my own hardening techniques makes for just about anything/everything I could ask for in an operating system.
I'll recommend debian to anybody for everything.  And I'll pitch in whatever help I can offer to make sure that someone has an enjoyable experience with what I feel is a quality example of what linux should be.  Both for the fundamentalist and the technologist.

-Brad Beck
'vehement debian advocate'