RE: Slackware vs Debian (was: Re: Quality of security assurance withDebian vs. RedHat vs. SuSE)

On Wed 12 Jun 2002 05:01, René Seindal wrote:

The many points before this one were well put, and a convincing
checklist of why one should use Debian.  I'll have to flag that
one for later.  Good show!

>         * Debian packaging is much more complicated than
>           Slackware's, but also much more powerful.  There
>           is a rather steep learning curve, but once
>           apprehended, almost everything can be achieved
>           with just the three programs apt-get(8),
>           apt-cache(8) and dpkg(8) from a commandline.
>           Building you own packages is a bit complicated,
>           but it can be learned in a day if necessary.

While it's not exactly learning how the packaging system works,
I might not have rolled my own kernel yet, had it not been for
the ridiculously easy method of kernel-package.  I configured and
built the kernel on a much faster machine, packaged the result
onto a floppy, and with one dpkg command I was ready to go on the
slower target machine.  No moving around modules, no messing with
LILO.  Simply elegant.

As for the front end:  to coin a phrase, apt may be the greatest
thing since sliced bread.  That seems a little unfair, though, as
sliced bread isn't all that impressive.

> numerous fora for user to user communication (email and
> web-based), ...

You know, this is the first time I have ever seen someone use
the plural of "forum".  ;)

Jeff Bonner