Re: portscans and sniffing

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 10:36, kuepper@in-secure.net wrote:
> Are ftp anonymous scans illegal?

Most likely not, but, as others have stated consult a lawyer for the
nitty gritty details.

> if it is, can i get an license to do penetrations test?

You could just ask, can't you? I have done so on several occasions with
customers or possible customers. Ask someone, but remember
_to_get_it_in_writing_ (email). Then you are at least in good faith.
Anyways, if people run  an anonymous FTP-service I would take that as an
invitation to pop by for a visit. The way I see it: it is a bit like
asking is it legal to browse a website or write a spider?

You might want to consider who and how many sites you will be scanning
as someone might be very annoyed at the increased traffic.

--
Lars Bahner,
http://lars.bahner.com/

Nihil est sine ratione cur potius sit, quam non sit.