Re: Mailserver HDD organization

hi ivo

for partitions...
	- i prefer smallest/reasonable / partitions ( 64M or 128M etc )
		- getting into single user mode is extremely important
	- /var/spool/{mail,mqueue} in a mail server should
	  be its own "huge" partitions ???
	- /home doesnt mean much for mail servers
	  ( user stuff is all in /opt
		ln -s /opt/home /
		ln -s /opt/local /usr

	- if you run secure imap, you'd have to worry about quota
	  for /home where their mail is saved

	- i like having /tmp in its own partitions ( 128Mb? )
	- i do NOT use /boot as separate partitions
	- must not forget about swap partition ( 256M or so )
	  and if swap space is used constantly, add more memory
	- i like having /opt to be the rest of the disk
	- if you build your own kernel.. i claim you'd need to keep
	  the current initrd.gz  or make your own custom initrd.gz
	  so that it can read the scsi disks... ( catch-22 issue )

- more partition-howtos
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Installation/partition.gwif.html

- Picture of partitions layout on a disk... ( middle of the page )
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks

- Debian Security howto
	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

- for a secure mail server...
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net
	-- see the various hardening methodologies
		http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Harden/howto.gwif.html

	- harden the file system
	- harden the daemons/services
	- apply all the patches
	- run secure pop3/imap if users insists on "pop-style" mua
	- subscribe to security mailing lists and distro/app specific ml
	- install one or more anti-virus sw
	- backup your system daily ???
	- users probably would like their mailboxes backed up hourly ??

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/#AntiVirus
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/secure_pop3.txt

- simulate a disk crash ( unplug it )
	-
	- see if you can recover
	- how many/how much users emails did you lose ??
	-	should be zero with raid1 mirror

for runing a raid1 mirror ... that should be fun/simple to setup
	- be sure to use the "fd" (raid autodetect) partitition type

	http://www.1U-Raid5.net

have fun linuxing
alvin