Re: Mailserver HDD organization

On 17 Jan 2002 07:06:37 +0100
eim  <eim@eimbox.org> wrote:

> I was thinking about a partition for /, one for boot, one for
> /var/spool/mail and some other important system parts.

MTAs are inherently disk IO bound.  As such, if possible devote a
spindle to /var/spool/mail and do what you can to reduce other
system IO (eg turn of syslog fsync()).  If you can't do that (and it
sounds like you can't), then use the appropriate RAID types.

> Has anyone real-life examples of running mailservers, maybe some
> HDD organization infos, MTA infos and other importante related
> know-how to run a secure and stable mailserver on my network.

There's been quite a bit of this sort of data on the Mailman lists
from Chuq von Rospach, myself, Nigel Metherington, and others.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?