Re: Locking down a guest account - need help.

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:46:10PM -0500, David Ehle wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
>    Not debian specific, but this is the best batch of security minds I
> have access too so I figured I'd see if this interests anyone.
>
>   I need to set up some Xterminal replacemnets - linux boxes that will
> mostly only be running netscape and ssh.
>
>   They are going to be used for visiting staff/students/ect so they need a
> guest account with a "bad" password.

 Or, use kdm (instead of xdm).  It lets you specify which users will
be allowed to log in without typing their password.  Thus, you leave
the guest account with a strong password and don't tell it to anybody,
but allow logins as guest from the console via kdm.  (BTW, KDM is a
decent replacement for XDM.  It can launch whatever you want, not just
kde.)

 This makes securing FTP, SSH, etc. a lot less worrisome.  (you still
might want to block the guest account out of a lot of stuff...)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y