Re: Locking down a guest account - need help.

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 13:46:10 David Ehle wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
>    Not debian specific, but this is the best batch of security minds I
> have access too so I figured I'd see if this interests anyone.
>
>   I need to set up some Xterminal replacemnets - linux boxes that will
> mostly only be running netscape and ssh.
>
>   They are going to be used for visiting staff/students/ect so they need a
> guest account with a "bad" password.
>
>   The machines have to run X, - i'm using Sawmill/Gnome WM/DE for
> familiarity value for users.
>
>   Now the problems I still need solutiosn for:
>
>  1. How to dissallow network connections to this guest account? I don't
> want anyone ssh'ing in, but I still want to be able to remotely administer
> the machines.
>
>  2. How do I either turn off the middle click menus in
> Gnome/enlightment/sawmill, or totaly disable/remap the middle button
> behavior? Right click is handled by oneclick.so (see www.dnalounge.com)
> but middle seems to go through.
>
> The problem I'm running into is that all the documentation is about how to
> set up public web stations, and I still want to preserve greater
> functionality for "trusted" users.
>
> Thanks in advance for help and advice!
>
> 			David.
>

> --

1. Check the openssh man page for AllowGroups and AllowUsers, both allow you to
specify users that are allowed to login, everyone else is denied.

2. For enlightenment you should be able to remove the keybindings for the mouse
button(s) you wish to disable. /usr/share/enlightenment/config/keybindings.cfg
is the global keybindings config, or you could copy that to ~/.enlightenment if
you just wanted to disable them for one user. the mouse buttons are at the top
of the default config in potato. e16keyedit provied a gui for editing these
keybindings, it doesn't appear to be packaged in potatoe though.
not sure about gnome or sawmill, but i'm guessing its something similar.