Re: empty log files

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 03:07:42PM -0400, Damian M Gryski wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2001, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > On 06-Apr-01, 11:41 (CDT), Damian M Gryski <dgryski@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > >    So, this for me pretty much nails it that something is borked with the
> > >    sysklogd cron.weekly script.
> >
> > I'd guess that the daemon wasn't restarted after the logs were rotated,
> > so that all the messages since have been written to whereever those file
> > descriptors point. You could poke around in /proc/(syslogdpid)/fd, or
> > just run /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart.
>
>    Nope, because the problem is persistent across reboots.  So, even a
>    freshly started syslogd isn't writing to the logfiles.

I'm late to the discussion so if you're not running unstable, sorry.

nnorman@canaris:~ $ dpkg -l klogd

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii  klogd               1.4.1-1             Kernel logging daemon
nnorman@canaris:~ $ dpkg -p klogd
Package: klogd
Section: base
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: sysklogd
Version: 1.4.1-1
Replaces: sysklogd
Provides: linux-kernel-log-daemon
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.1-2), sysklogd | system-log-daemon
Conflicts: sysklogd (<= 1.3-33)
Filename: pool/main/s/sysklogd/klogd_1.4.1-1_i386.deb
Size: 34290
MD5sum: 487e6812964ee55a562c07fb0aa39b8e
 The klogd daemon listens to kernel message sources and is responsible
 for prioritizing and processing operating system messages.  The klogd
 daemon can run as a client of syslogd or optionally as a standalone
 program.  Klogd can now be used to decode EIP addresses if it can
 determine a System.map file.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.