Re: Ports to block?

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:39:47AM -0700, Eric N. Valor wrote:
<snip>
> Well, most folks like to connect to the Web, so port 80 is a must for that
> (it's 2-way on the same port).  53 is required only if you're running BIND

Is that true? I only block *incoming* port 80, but I'm still able to surf
the web. Remember that when your browser talks to the web server, it will
be using a normal (i.e. > 1023) port locally, not port 80.

> so other servers can make information requests.  But I warned about SSH
> because unless you're checking logs or have some other reporting system
> it's a way for someone to brute-force into your system.  I've seen way too
> many bad username/password combinations and quite a lack of vigilance to
> not put up a warning.  Also, there was an exploit put out on BugTraq a

If you set "PasswordAuthentication no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, then
even brute-force hacking of passwords will fail.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com