Re: empty log files

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:
> I am not sure if it has anything to do with the kernel.

   I dig a bit of digging on my system and, surprise surprise, March 18th
   was the last time kern.log and family were updated too.  Now, March
   18th was a Sunday, which is when cron.weekly is run.  The changelog for
   the sysklogd package shows it was last updated March 11 which is also
   a Sunday.  However, the date on the /var/lib/dpkg/info/sysklogd.list
   is March 12.  Thus, sysklogd missed the cron.weekly run for that week,
   and would have to wait until the next run, which would be on March 18.

   So, this for me pretty much nails it that something is borked with the
   sysklogd cron.weekly script.

> My desktop system is running kernel-2.4.3 with updated sid and on this
> machine the /var/log/*.log files are fine ie stuff gets logged to them.

   D'oh.  I mean, glad to hear it, but my above theory doesn't cover this.

   Damian

--
Damian Gryski ==> dgryski@uwaterloo.ca | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
512 pt Hacker Test score = 37%         | 500 pt Nerd Test score = 56%