Re: Debian or Redhat 7???

I've been loosely foloowing this thread, and hope you have the best of
luck locking down.  A few places to start with the inetd.conf file.  You probably don't
need any of those services.  Install ssh.  Setup your apt sources.list to
check for

deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

but you may want to use a mirror, so they don't get nailed.

basically, each line in the sources.list has a list of packages, and they
look to see who is the newest and install that puppy.

those are a coupla basic steps to locking down your box.  Others include
not running named cux it's often a problem...I have no doubt that there are
crackers out there with several named and sendmail holes in their pocket.
That haven't been exposed before.  So if you run mail, check out qmail.
IMHO.  Don't have key services run as root, like your webserver if that is
key.  That way if you get compromised they still need to work for root.

have a nice day
rick