Re: Debian or Linux 7???

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:12:29PM -0500, Steve Rudd wrote:
> Just how much more secure is Debian than redhat?

The kernel is only a small part of the distribution. In fact, most security
issues are regarding application packages.

Why Debian?

It might be more secure, because the packages chosen for distribution or
often more tested - not the latest versions with brand new bugs but
(somewhat) older packages with known bugs removed.

It can also be held more secure because (IMHO) the default Red Hat
installation has some flaws in its implementation - at least Debian seems to
have a more secure default installation.

But most of all, good security also depends on you:

- Subscribe to a security announcement list of the distribution you are
  running so you will get notified of any security problems and can update
  affected packages.

- Browse a Linux documentation website (www.linuxdoc.org) and set up an
  IPCHAINS firewall (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html).

Also, if you really have had intruders so often, you might want to hire a
security company for an audit and some strategy. You did not mention the
cause of your intrusions, so it is hard to say whether your problem was
actually the kernel (unlikely), Red Hat specific (more likely), an older
application with a bug (most likely, but if you do not do security upgrades
you will have this same problem with any distribution) or even something
completely different.

Any way, good luck with securing your environment.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper | cap@capsi.com cap@capsi.net cap@capsi.co.uk