Re: Clear screan question

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 09:57:45PM +0100, Sune Kirkeby wrote:
> [ Sune Kirkeby ]
> > I don't know how or why, but it does _not_ clear the scroll-back buffer
> > on my console, "chvt 63 ; reset -Q ; chvt 1" does though.
>
> [ Ethan Benson ]
> > you don't need the reset -Q there.  the simple act of changing VCs
> > clears the scrollback history.
>
> Sorry, my bad for being unclear.  I meant that the above command would
> clear both the scroll-back buffer and the "actual" terminal itself.

except your reset -Q happens on tty63, which alsmost certainly has
nothing there you care about.  you want to clear tty1 (or wherever you
were logged in). `clear` is a sufficient way to do that rather then
reset (which resets all kinds of things and is slower then clear)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/