Re: Request to join as new member

Arnaud Rebillout <arnaudr@debian.org> writes:

> On 11/05/2024 16:59, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> I feel uncomfortable having a salsa
>> write permission token in plain text on my laptop, which seemed required
>> to use some of the suggested tools
>
> Just passing by.
>
> What are you referring to, why is a salsa token required? Often
> enough, you can store secrets in with libsecret (check package
> libsecret-tools) rather than plain text.

On

  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/pkg-security#Packaging_rules

it mention the 'bin/update-repos' which complains:

  It looks like no token has been configured for /usr/bin/salsa.
  see 'man salsa' and setup a SALSA_TOKEN in the devscripts configuration file.

The man page for salsa

  https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/devscripts/salsa.1.en.html

says I should put a Salsa token in plaintext in ~/.devscripts.

If I understand correctly, leaking that token will leak write-permission
to my account on Salsa.  I don't feel comfortable about having this
magic cookie around, it seems safer to rely on SSH or PGP keys (which I
have on a smartcard) instead.

/Simon