Re: Intro and Intent to Package

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 2:52 AM Samuel Henrique <samueloph@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
> Awesome, you don't need to bother with mentors since we are working as
> a team and we have salsa, anytime you need a review/sponsor you can
> ask for one and we will take a look at the head of debian/master, that
> will make things slightly easier.

Oh that makes it easier indeed.

> [...]
> The correct distribution will be unstable, that is unless you have an
> explicit reason to keep it experimental, but those cases are rare and
> I don't think it applies here.
> [...]
> So the gist of it is that you can either set it to unstable when you
> think the package is ready or wait for the sponsor to do so, it's up
> to you.

Ok, I set it to unstable.

> > - Since I used CDBS, the maximum debhelper compat version I could use is 10.
> >   IIUC, this is fine?
>
> I took a look at d/rules and it looks like you're not using anything
> specific to cdbs, I recommend switching to debhelper fully as cdbs is
> considered legacy.
> The switch should be fairly easy, you just need to remove cdbs from
> B-D and add the vanilla debhelper catch-all target on d/rules:
> %:
>     dh $@

TIL. I rather liked CDBS for its ease of use, but the new version is
just as simple.
Done.

> [...]
> I also recommend using
> "debhelper-compat" in d/control, as the other packages, so you can
> remove the file d/compat (debhelper-compat declares both the compat
> level and the debhelper version).
>
> With the move to debhelper, you will be able to use version 13.

Done. I left the debian/compat file, though, as my "debuild -- clean" complained
about it being missing otherwise.
Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Maybe look at my control file?

A nice side-effect is that the build is now invoked with the equivalent of
make -j$(nproc)
:-)

> > - Upstream does not provide GPG signatures, so I can ignore the
> >   debian-watch-does-not-check-gpg-signature warning, right?
>
> That's right, strictly speaking only lintian errors are blockers, the
> rest of them are good to fix but sometimes it's not something doable
> from the packaging side. In this specific case we are talking about a
> possible improvement that needs to be done on the upstream side
> (provide a key and signature of tarballs). Considering you're also
> upstream you can fix it, but it's totally up to you.

I'm only kind of upstream. I'm not one of the regular contributors,
but I work with
them. So yes, we'll get this done, too.

> [...]
> If you package a snapshot of a repo, the version needs to have this
> information appended in the upstream part of it, like in the example
> of one package we have:
> 3.7.18+git20200706.10c91c7-1
> instead of 3.7.18-1

Ah sure. Maybe I didn't make this clear. By "snapshot" I didn't mean a snapshot
of Git master, but rather a full copy of the source code as of version 2.9 (the
latest release).

> [...]
> Sometimes there are issues related to submodules, but they happen
> because the submodule is a library that should be packaged separately.
> Not all libraries need/should be packaged separately, but some do, so
> it's on a per case basis.

Yeah the submodule in question is about "Kafel", a domain-specific language
for writing syscall filters. I don't believe we should package this
separately as
of now. So I'll keep it in the original tarball.

> I will review the package soon, so I will be able to give a more
> specific feedback,

Nice. I committed the requested changes to Salsa. PTAL.

--
Christian Blichmann | Senior Software Engineer | Google™
m: +41 79 7 18 79 43 | cblichmann@google.com