Re: Maintaing proxytunnel through the team

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 03:09:16PM +0200, Marcos Fouces wrote:
> Hi Julian and Samuel
>
> I found that there is 1493 binary packages that use the "git" string in
> the release number. There is some exotic variations (like this one
> 0.0~GOTK3~0~2~0+git20170418.0.96d4110-3)
>
> I believe that ".1." refered by Samuel could be considered as a kind of
> an epoch. This is useful because the characters of the commit cannot be
> used to sort releases.
>
> IMHO, there is no strong need to insert the date, some characters of
> commit id, a custom epoch... Using "git+date" should be enough in most
> cases.

Hi Marcos,

I have found that having a commit id in the package version can be
helpful:

- sometimes there is more than one upstream commit in a day

- sometimes the commit date is somewhat ambiguous, especially if the
  commit was on a different branch and then merged into the master
  branch at a later date - what is the date that should then be used?
  Different maintainers have used different choices, but the commit id
  is unambiguous.

These have arisen when I've been trying to compare a Debian package to
the upstream original to track down some issue or other.

But I agree that the '.1.' is excessive (even though I have been
guilty of it myself - I was just copying what someone else had done
and presumed that it had a good reason...).

> If you add some more commits, you can add them as patches in d/patches
> and refer it in d/changelog.

Or just release a new version?  Or do you mean cherry-picking later
commits?

Best wishes,

   Julian