nmap: copyright check, repack (Re: nmap: help wanted?)

Hi,

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 22:35:28 +0000 (UTC)
Gianfranco Costamagna <costamagnagianfranco at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>  While I think repack might be good, I also think the waste of time
> can be reduced to zeto by just copying the copyright files from the
> respective libraries in the archive. In case of discrepances you
> might even do something good as fixing some copyright in other
> packages already in the archive, and this won't hurt :)

I had actually checked that: the more difficult libraries do not have a
machine readable copyright file.  What they do have is not really
useful.  It might be that my work can help the maintainers of the other
libraries once I'm done?

> But time is limited and repack already necessary, so repack should be
> done anyway I would guess. Maybe upstream can drop this file or
> change it so we will stick again to the same upstream tarball. G.

My plan is now to:
* repack, removing as much as possible
* create the DEP-5 copyright for the remaining files
which I hope to finish by the end of the weekend.  That version should
then be suitable for an upload.

Afterwards, I intend to check if other files have non-free licenses and
discuss the problem with upstream.  If it remains just ipexport.h
(which I hope), it looks like the file from mingw could work just as
well (thanks Hilko for finding that!), so hopefully upstream will be
able to fix the problem.

I will then continue my process of preparing the debian/copyright file
suitable for a non-repacked nmap, so that we can revert the repack once
upstream fixes the problems.

Regards
Lukas