Re: Debian Math Team

Hi Julien,

Am Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 04:15:28PM +0100 schrieb Julien Puydt:
> But about moving things, my feelings are mixed. Indeed, this very week,
> I joined the OCaml Team and packaged src:elpi there -- which is
> mathematics software. But since it's written in OCaml, I feel it's
> better to keep it in the language-specific team.

>From time to time it makes sense to join a certain language team and
leave some packages of a Blend there.  For instance the Debian Med team
has a couple of Perl packages maintained by the Perl team.  That's fine
and is a case by case decision what might make the most sense.  I think
also the Ruby team asked for taking over the bioruby package.

The point of a Blend is to inform users about the available software
inside Debian of a certain field.  The Vcs location is not really an
information that is very important for the user.  Debian Med is pointing
to several packages maintained by Debichem, Debian Science or also
packages maintained by language teams.

>From a developer point of view it comes handy to use a common Salsa team
- but that's by no means "mandatory" and sensible exceptions should be
made.

> For all packages in the debian science team, I'm ok with them moving to
> the new team. [I have no clue how to move them]

How to move a package:

 In Salsa:

    Settings
      -> General
           -> Advanced [Expand]
                -> Transfer project

This redirects users who are using the old URL.  For sure you need the
according permissions in both teams (not sure whether maintainer is
sufficient or whether you need owner).

> Perhaps the debian sagemath team should be merged in the math team?

>From my naive perspective this makes perfectly sense and I would
recommend this.