Re: RFS ete

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 10:48:13PM +0800, zhao feng wrote:
> > The package at
> >
> >  https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/python-ete3
> >
> > builds but is also not finished yet.  I do not remember what had stopped
> > me from finalising and uploading.  Please checkout and moreover if you
> > talk next time about "ete packaging repositor" provide a link. :-)
>
> Thanks for your information. I have not noticed the existing RFP and
> have issued an ITP
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=963732.
> Should I close the ITP I issued ? I wonder how to turn the RFP into ITP.

I do not really mind.  May be merging both bugs is the technical correct
way to go.

> I have created a personal repository at
> https://salsa.debian.org/zhaofeng-shu33-guest/ete/ and the ci passes
> https://salsa.debian.org/zhaofeng-shu33-guest/ete/-/pipelines/152628.
> The package has been uploaded to https://mentors.debian.net/package/ete.

As I said I do not require sponsees to upload to mentors.  The rationale
is that I sometimes want to change things quickly and directly - thus I
always sponsor from salsa repository.

> I am intending to merge these works into
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/python-ete3.

Yes, please do so.

> Some technical aspect of merging these two repos:
> I have found that med-team/python-ete3 repo uses some patches to deal
> with the offline testing problems. I think there is a more elegant way
> to handle this obstacle.

As I tried to express: Feel free to take over your solution.  There is
no point in sticking to not so good solutions just because they were
invented once.

> To summarize the way: using pytest instead of unittest.
> For more detail, see
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2020/06/msg00035.html.
> So I am planning to override med-team/python-ete3 testing rule by
> using the one of zhaofeng-shu33-guest/ete/.

Yep.  Please go for it! :-)

> For other parts, I think it is not difficult to merge.

Sounds good.