Re: Problem getting uploads accepted due to NEW packages (so version bumps and acl restrictions)

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 03:49:18PM +0200, Maarten van Gompel wrote:
> I gathered all the end-results (*.changes etc) in a big tarball (just for convenience):
>     https://download.anaproy.nl/debian-packaging.tar
>
> It concerns the following packages:
>     https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/libticcutils
>     https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/libfolia
>     https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/ucto
>     https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/mbtserver
>     https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/frog
>
> > Also SO bumps may require a proper transition and binNMUs depending on how many
> > packages are affected.
>
> There are no third-party packages depending on our packages, the
> only affected dependencies are our own, hence me uploading them all at once; so I
> think, like last time about a year ago, a transition can be skipped here.

I think it was me at some point doing them.  I can do that again, but my
recommended process is:
 * upload all the SO bumping targetting experimental
 * once NEW is cleared
 * upload everything to unstable

You can't say that a transition can be skipped, there will be a
transition.  What can be skipped is involving the release team if you
control all the packages that are touched by such transition.

Also, you can't upload all of them to unstable right now; a practical
example:
https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/frog/-/commit/716532091844661a43b6efe824c76d809173cf96#58ef006ab62b83b4bec5d81fe5b32c3b4c2d1cc2
| -              libfolia-dev (>= 1.15),
| +              libfolia-dev (>= 2.4),
that new libfolia is not available in unstable, that would mean an
unbuildable package, therefore an RC bug and all that comes with that
kind of mess.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo