Re: [need mentor] GSoC Proposal: Enhancement to Debian's BLAS/LAPACK Ecosys

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 11:26:39AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Hi Lumin and Andreas,
>
> Le jeudi 12 décembre 2019 à 11:11 +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
>
> > since I need to admit that I have no idea about BLAS/LAPACK and I'm just
> > a happy user of these packages as dependencies of several of my own
> > packages, I'm volunteering to co-mentor this project since I regard it
> > really important and would love to see it happen.  A real mentor who can
> > give some advise and set directions (which I really can not!) would be
> > very welcome.
>
> My time for Debian is currently rather limited, so I was hesitating to
> be a mentor for this, though my position as long-time maintainer of
> BLAS/LAPACK (and suitesparse) makes me a natural candidate.

Yep. :-)

> On the other hand, Lumin has been doing a very valuable work on those
> packages, and we should make everything possible to allow him to
> continue and get all the support he needs.

+1

> So, if this is possible, having Andreas and myself as co-mentors could
> be a workable solution.

That's great.

> I should be able to give guidance and feedback from time to time. And
> Lumin is already quite familiar with the issues at hand, so I’m sure he
> can be autonomous to a large extent.

Since this is the case I stepped up here at all.  I consider the
existence of a mentor as a formal requirement for a GSoC project and
thus I could serve as such to make sure the project will happen.

> What I’m much less motivated to do however is the “administrative”
> part, such as wrapping up the proposal or writing reports (though I
> don’t exactly what a mentor is supposed to do in that area).
>
> Maybe someone with more experience with GSoC could comment on that.

I've done several GSoC projects and the effort of a mentor is basically
filling some forms (one for mid-term and one in the end).  I admit I'm a
bit weak here - its a good advise for the student to ping me that it is
time to fill in the forms (since I tend to assemble all those GSoC mails
in some folder which I do not read frequently).

In summary: The administrative work is bearable but good to have
somebody who reminds someone to do it.