Re: How to handle a change in "Files-Excluded:" with gbp

Thomas Schiex <thomas.schiex@inra.fr> writes:

> Thanks Aaron, I should have thought about this :-)

No problem; glad to have been of help!

> I did and I now have 3 less lintian warnings, and I will push to salsa.

Great.

> I: toulbar2: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 4967kB 67%
>
> Is it tolerable?

Yes, but it would certainly be better to split out a -doc package.

> Is it as simple as editing debian/control to describe two deb files and
> have a new debian/install file for the doc package? (I guess not :-/)

It's pretty straightforward, but not quite that simple.  For one thing,
you'll want to rename all the files in debian/ specifically pertaining
to the main package to start with "toulbar2." for clarity.  Also, please
note that destinations in .install files should always be directory
names, and that dh_installdocs will take care of doc-base files for you
if you name them according to the directions in its man page.

If you have any heavyweight build dependencies that are necessary only
when building the main binary package, or only when building
documentation, it's best practice to split them out into
Build-Depends-Arch or Build-Depends-Indep, respectively.

Finally, I'd recommend running debc (from the devscripts package) to get
an overview of each package's contents and metadata while you're working
on this setup.

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu