Re: Veusz in Debian Science?

Hi Andreas

On 24/06/18 16:04, Andreas Tille wrote:

I've added you to Debian Science team.  Please push there.  I'd prefer
to avoid having too many clones hanging around.

Ok. I've deleted my copy and pushed to the main one.

Good.  Please push to the Debian Science repository and I'll have a
look.

Done.

Its your decision since you have the proper insight.  If there might be
use case that the python3-veusz module would be used independently from
veusz it makes perfectly sense to modularise the packaging.

Ok. It's possible it can be used independently, so the split makes sense.

However, I'm not sure whether some people might be using the python2 module
provided in the current package. A lot of people in science seem to be stuck
on python2.

That's true and I do not want to create pressure.  However, I wanted to
make sure that you *really* intend to create a *new* package that
supports python2.  At some point in time that will definitely be
removed.  So please make soure you are really sure you want to do extra
work, which is not future proof for the only reason that you assume
scientist would be extremely conservative.

It was just my concern with the compatibility with the existing package. I thought the existing "veusz" package had a Provides python-veusz, but it turns out that my memory is wrong, or the package changed somewhere. People could be using the Python 2 veusz module you get with the veusz package, but I'm not aware of this.

I also should note that the Fedora and OpenSUSE packages are Python 3 only, so it's probably fine to make the switch.

Therefore you've convinced me and I've merged the Py3-only version.

Best wishes

Jeremy