Re: Veusz in Debian Science?

Dear Andreas

Thanks very much for looking at this. I've put my changes in https://salsa.debian.org/jeremysanders-guest/veusz as I can't modify the original in debian-science.

On 24/06/18 00:05, Andreas Tille wrote:

Veusz hasn't been updated in Debian for a long time. I've made a number of
changes to the packaging. It now uses Qt5 and has Python 2 and 3 modules. It
seems a bit tricky to get a new version uploaded.

What exactly is the tricky part here?

I think it's just lack of time for people to review the package. I tried a couple of times.

Please always use

    gbp import-orig --pristine-tar upstream_tarball_path

to update pristine-tar branch.  I just did so to easily be able to build
the package in the way it is described in Debian Science policy.

ok - I will do for the next release.
It's currently hosted at
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/applications/veusz/

May be you remove this repository to avoid confusion with the newly
created one.

I'll look into this.

(unfortunately I can't get the tests in the continuous integration working
using Xvfb, but it builds fine for me in pbuilder).

You might like to commit your debian/tests dir and let others have a
look.  Possibly you just need xvfb as Depends in the
debian/tests/control file.  Its hard to guess how to fix the test if
you do not publish your attempt.

The rules has a test section in "override_dh_auto_test". This overrides the pybuild tests, which would normally run a python module test. These work in a pbuilder environment, just not in the salsa continuous integration. Xvfb is a requirement for the build.

It fails in CI with
----
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".
----
But seems to work in pbuilder for me.

Should I move the tests to debian/tests instead?

One issue is worth discussing:  You are adding a lot of -dbg packages to
Build-Depends.  That's something I've never seen and which should be
removed if you have no good explanation why this is done.  I'd also
recommend to drop

$ grep "Package.*-dbg" debian/control
Package: python-veusz.helpers-dbg
Package: python3-veusz.helpers-dbg

If you do not add these manually the build process adds *-dbgsym
packages automatically.  So there is no real point to add this manually.
Since I do not know your intention about this I did not patched this
and leave this as open question for the sponsering process.

The old package predated the automated debug symbols and I didn't think about removing this. I've now removed the dbg packages and requirements in the build (see link above).

Another item to think about:  Do we *really* need the packages
containing Python 2 modules?  If not it seems sensible to simply
drop python2-* packages in general since Python2 is end of life.

I agree it would be nice to drop this as it simplifies things. I've made a py3-only branch above which does this. It drops the python-veusz and veusz-data subpackages, merging the data into python3-veusz. Perhaps the python3-veusz and veusz subpackages could also be merged (as is done in the current Python 2 only version in Debian).

However, I'm not sure whether some people might be using the python2 module provided in the current package. A lot of people in science seem to be stuck on python2. I admit (as upstream), that there probably aren't too many people using the program for plotting without the GUI.

The old veusz package provided a python-veusz. Would something need to be added to say this no longer exists?

Thanks very much for you really helpful feedback

Jeremy