Re: Veusz in Debian Science?

Hi Jeremy,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 12:10:30PM +0200, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> I'm currently working on packaging Veusz under the Debian Python project
> (I'm also upstream). Veusz is a GUI 2D and 3D scientific plotting package
> and python plotting module. See https://veusz.github.io/ for more details.
>
> Veusz hasn't been updated in Debian for a long time. I've made a number of
> changes to the packaging. It now uses Qt5 and has Python 2 and 3 modules. It
> seems a bit tricky to get a new version uploaded.

What exactly is the tricky part here?

> Maybe the project is better suited to Debian Science than Debian Python. Is
> there someone willing to take a look at it and work towards an upload?

I admit I do not really mind in what repository a package resides as long
as I have commit permissions.  While I have for Python Modules team I do
not have for Apps (hmmm strange - but I have no motivation to track this
down).  This I followed your idea and moved the package to

   https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/veusz

Please check my commits there and read my comments below.

> I think the packaging is reasonable. There are now quite a lot of
> subpackages, mainly to have both Python 2 and 3 compatibility, to split out
> the arch all and arch any, and to not duplicate the shared data between the
> two. This could be reduced if we dropped Python 2 packaging, but maybe
> someone finds it useful.

Please always use

   gbp import-orig --pristine-tar upstream_tarball_path

to update pristine-tar branch.  I just did so to easily be able to build
the package in the way it is described in Debian Science policy.

> It's currently hosted at
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/applications/veusz/

May be you remove this repository to avoid confusion with the newly
created one.

> (unfortunately I can't get the tests in the continuous integration working
> using Xvfb, but it builds fine for me in pbuilder).

You might like to commit your debian/tests dir and let others have a
look.  Possibly you just need xvfb as Depends in the
debian/tests/control file.  Its hard to guess how to fix the test if
you do not publish your attempt.

One issue is worth discussing:  You are adding a lot of -dbg packages to
Build-Depends.  That's something I've never seen and which should be
removed if you have no good explanation why this is done.  I'd also
recommend to drop

$ grep "Package.*-dbg" debian/control
Package: python-veusz.helpers-dbg
Package: python3-veusz.helpers-dbg

If you do not add these manually the build process adds *-dbgsym
packages automatically.  So there is no real point to add this manually.
Since I do not know your intention about this I did not patched this
and leave this as open question for the sponsering process.

Another item to think about:  Do we *really* need the packages
containing Python 2 modules?  If not it seems sensible to simply
drop python2-* packages in general since Python2 is end of life.

Kind regards and thanks for your work on this