Re: Sundials is way outdated

Le lundi 13 février 2017 à 21:54 -0800, Dima Kogan a écrit :

> Furthermore, there're a number of other libraries being built that we do
> not ship. We should be shipping all this stuff. Does anybody know why
> we're splitting these up at all? How about a libsundials-dev and a
> libsundials1 that has everything?

Quoting from Policy §8.1:

“If you have several shared libraries built from the same source tree,
you may lump them all together into a single shared library package
provided that all of their SONAMEs will always change together. Be aware
that this is not normally the case, and if the SONAMEs do not change
together, upgrading such a merged shared library package will be
unnecessarily difficult because of file conflicts with the old version
of the package. When in doubt, always split shared library packages so
that each binary package installs a single shared library.”

Looking at package names, shared libraries have different SOVERSIONs (0,
1 and 2 seem to be used). So it seems that this constraint is not
fulfilled by sundials, though I am not sufficiently familiar with the
package to make a definitive judgment.

Cheers,

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot