Re: science-optimisation (Was: About the sense of removing -march=native)

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:12:44AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > IMHO this is a feasable way to take some workload from admins shoulders
> > (or might damins even aware that there actually is some work to do at
> > all) and by doing so could increase the acceptance of Debian among
> > scientists (who otherwise might prefer archlinux or other distributions
> > that are building on the target machine).
> >
> > Do you think that is a sensible idea?
>
> The idea looks quite interesting to me (though we probably need more
> data on the effects of such performance-tuning before embarking into
> such an effort).

Perfectly agreed - that's why I'd suggest a GSoC project to do some
research on the performance efforts.

> Michael Banck convinced me that using DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=custom would be
> a nicer interface, and I therefore opened #854781 and #854784.

I was also immediately convinced that DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=custom is the
better interface.

> Another option would be to use build-profiles, as suggested by Ghislain
> Vaillant. This also seems to be a good fit. Some investigation is needed
> though, especially because apparently that build-profiles are meant to
> be compatible with reproducible builds (while by definition
> optimized-build are not reproducible across machines).

Once we know whether it makes sense to dive into this we can decide
what technique to use.