About the sense of removing -march=native (Was: Is theano worth saving?)

Hi Lumin,

thanks for your long explanation.  While I have a divergent opinion in
some points I do not feel competent enough to discuss this here.
However, I stumbled upon one point which I consider a valuable topic to
move to debian-devel@lists.debian.org.

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 03:33:16PM +0000, lumin wrote:
>  * Debian's official binary packages have lost performance from SIMD
>    instruction sets. One of my research program runs several times
>    faster after recompiled OpenBLAS with -march=native and some
>    other tweaks. Building packages with generic flags, a result
>    of Debian's goal of being Universal, makes official binary packages
>    not quite suitable for both compute-bound and IO-bound task.
>    Compiling from source following the upstream guide is fine.

So do you think we are doing a bad service to our users by striping
-march=native?  Could you please provide some numbers?

I wonder whether we could invent some mechanism that is rebuilding a
package in postinst and installs the result on the machine instead of a
pre-build binary.  Or we could provide some toolset which enables
scientists to download a set of source packages and build these after
re-activating -march=native and move the results in a local repository
which just needs to be added to sources.list.

Do you consider this as feasible ideas?