Re: Upcoming new round of R package rebuilds [FWD: [Rd] R-devel object header changes that require reinstalling packages]

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 08:23:30AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 03:25:56PM +0200, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> > > The whole bug report was, pardon my French, complete and utter nonsense.
> >
> > Wow. Complete and utter. A bug report affecting 100+ packages that was merged
> > with two independent bug reports (861684, 862969). And that took from 27 April
> > to 9 September to get fixed. I think the French are more friendly than your
> > terminology here :) I will shut up now. Have a good day everyone!
>
> Dirk, in this transition process you told a lot of people not nice words
> instead of following the established transition process in Debian.  If I
> were you I would make myself comfortable with the transition process
> inside Debian in order to avoid a lot of personal friction.

I basically agree with what Johannes and Andreas said (including their praise
of your work as maintainer of the R packages).

I want to add that it’s still possible and easy to have R migrate from unstable
to testing (and using a more robust way that adding 100+ Breaks).

It consists in bumping the "r-api-3" value to "r-api-3.4", or "r-api-3a" (or
basically whatever you want, as long as it is different from previous values).

This takes less than 5 minutes of your time, is clean and robust, and solves
the whole issue.

I know you don’t consider this issue as an ABI break, but this is a rather
theoretical debate. In practice this proposed change does the job.

Then the Release Team will schedule binNMUs for all R reverse dependencies, and
everything will migrate to testing. Of course this means more rebuilds than
strictly necessary, but who cares?… computing resources are cheap.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer