Re: Would this be the right mailing list for thermodynamic property tables? eg. steam tables?

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:24:08PM +0200, Martin Lord wrote:
> I have decided to teach myself C and about the steam tables I use for my
> daily work by programming a set of IAPWS - IF 97 steam tables.
>
> It is not yet complete but what I have so far is here.
> https://C4rnot@bitbucket.org/C4rnot/if97lib
>
> I was wondering how I might eventually go about making it available once
> done.  Have I come to the right place?

I don't know what steam tables are but if it is something you want to
provide as Debian packages you might be at the right place.

> There is actually a set of steam tables called Freesteam written already by
> Jon Pye, which I believe is under a GPL licence (sourceforge is down today
> so I can't actually open its homepage a the moment to confirm) and includes
> bindings for Python and Ascend which you might consider packaging.

To my experience it is not very promising to wait until somebody else
has done the packaging work.  However, if you have precise questions
about packaging you can get help here.

> I had some difficulty getting the .deb provided by freesteam to work on
> Ubuntu, as there appeared to be something wrong with the Ascend package
> (which I apt-got) on Ubuntu, but it worked when I compiled it (without the
> ascend bindings) rather than installing the .deb

Could you provide a link to the source package (*.dsc) of what you
tried to install?