Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hi Florian,

[I answered your private mail in the some days ago but it has delivery
 problems - please check your mail system.]

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:26:38AM +0100, Florian Rothmaier wrote:
> Hi Christian et al.,
>
> Am 14.01.2014 20:37, schrieb Christian T. Steigies:
>

> > I don't know where Astronomers meet, but the German Physical society meets in
> > in Berlin in March:
> >
> > http://berlin14.dpg-tagungen.de/index.html
> >
> > And the Geoscientists meet in Vienna in April/May:
> >
> > http://www.egu2014.eu/
> >
> > Some ETs will be there, I don't know if that counts. We build "telescopes"
> > as well. If that does not fit, Steffen is very good in organizing sprints
> > ;-)
> >

> That counts as well :-)
>
> Additionally, the high energy physicists (and usually this includes the
> astroparticle guys) meet in Mainz (March 24 - March 28), see
>
> http://mainz14.dpg-tagungen.de/index.html
>
> The annual meeting of the Astronomische Gesellschaft will be held in
> Bamberg this year... but in late-September... too late for our first
> meeting.

While there might be a nice chance to demonstrate Debian Astronomy at
such events (I did similar things with Debian Med) we just need to form
something that is presentable.  I'm not totally convinced that these
events are fitting nicely for this purpose since people become
distracted by the conference programm.  The only thing is to add 1-2
days in advance or after the conference for a pure Debian Astronomy
related sprint.

But as I said, some IRC meeting might do as well for a very first thing.