Aw: Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hello,

> > at first thanks for all your great work on astronomy packages.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:41:42PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> Dear all (astrophysicists, amateurs, scientists, other),
> >>
> >> there are now quite some people around that are interested in using
> >> Debian for astronomy related tasks. It may be a good idea if we could
> >> somehow bring us together and see where we can coordinate our efforts.
> >
> > +1
>
> I would very much support the creation of an Astronomy working group,
> but I am not quite sure how we would actually use an Alioth project and
> mailing list, especially if the packaging remains under debian-science
> umbrella which seems the right thing to me.
>
> Well, perhaps we should just give it a try :-)

How about a Sprint in Potsdam?

Is there a way to team up with some scientific projects? Einstein@Home
for instance is close to Debian, much around the globe, really.

There are the KDE people doing kstars. Maybe one get some folks from
the indi telescope control library? Some hardware people would be nice.
Anybody building telescopes, still?

Image stackers for videoastronomy?

Astronometry?

Can we tie up with itelescopes.net somehow?

IOTA?

We^H^HYou should investigate how much there is to share between all those
contributing to the community. Maybe it is not too much, still, it would
be a very social meeting and rewarding, I am sure. To define usable workflows
with Debian alone would be very helpful.

Please go for it all. I'll join you in a couple of decades when I have time
for star gazing .... I know, Astronomers do not have time for that, either :o)

Steffen