Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hi Ole,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:11:40PM +0100, Olе Streicher wrote:
> Florian Rothmaier <frothmai@ari.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:
> > I pretty much like Andreas' idea of starting an own blend. I think such
> > a project could help the astronomy-related packagers to move closer
> > together.
>
> @Andreas: What would we need to start a blend?

I hope

    http://blends.debian.org/blends/ch07.html

is up to date enough.  If not please ask for enhancement / send patches
/ ask here.

> > Moreover, there is a good chance in such a project that people (like me)
> > get a better idea of who is working on which package(s), who could be
> > asked in case of a specific issue and which tasks are the most urgent ones
> > to be worked on in order to help the entire community.
>
> Yes; however it is not clear what we would put there more than what we
> already know from the Uploaders: field of the packages and the owners of
> the ITP bugs.
>
> As an idea (also for other blends): could we compile a "who-does-what"
> from the tasks lists? As well as a "who-did-what" from the changelogs of
> the packages mentioned there?

It is possible to drain this information via UDD since all information
about tasks in (existing) Blends is available.  I might come up with
some query after the weekend (I'm traveling to MiniDebConf in Paris this
weekend and can spend my time in the train for things like this.

> Some more ideas:
>
> I would like to have more astronomy tasks:

+1

> In the moment, we have
> astronomy and astronomy-dev (and education-astronomy, in another
> blend). Already this distinction is a bit difficult, since f.e. I don't
> know whether we should put python packages (astropy) into astronomy or
> astronomy-dev. Also, there are (probably; I am not sure) some user
> groups with rather distinct needs, like:
>
> - amateurs
> - observational astronomy
> - cosmology
> - high energy astropyhsics (also somehow related to high energy physics)
>
> We could create tasks lists for each of them.

+10

> "Interactive users" (as well as developers) may be use
>
> - shell (like wcstools, qfits tools)
> - python (matplotlib, astropy, numpy and such)
> - tcl (probably outdated? fitstcl & Co.)
> - IRAF (hard to bring into Debian), ...
> - idl (non-free; what can be replaced by gdl? what about putting code to
>   contrib?)
>
> where it would be nice to have a "one-shot" installation for a certain
> preference. Is this something that should go into a task list?

I'm not fully sure whether I understand this question correctly but I
think we could find a solution.

> Then, there are "software recommendation lists" flying around in the
> net, and precompiled addons, like ESO scisoft
> <http://www.eso.org/sci/software/scisoft/>, or even complete
> distributions, like Distroastro <http://www.distroastro.org/>.
>
> They could also (somehow) be converted into "tasks".

+10

> Also, it would be nice to have a wishlist of software to be packaged,
> however this is basically what an "RFP" bug is for. Maybe a wiki page
> has lower threshold?

I have written down several times the drawback of Wiki pages compared to
web sentinal tasks pages here and in related lists.  If you want me to
repeat myself I might compile another answer to this FAQ (or perhaps I
might put it straight into the docs).

> > Of course I would join the Debian Astronomy blend and I would also
> > participate in a meeting, e.g. in Potsdam as suggested by Steffen. And I
> > think we should have such a meeting soonish to coordinate a bit the next
> > steps to go.
>
> While you are right in principle, I must confess that in the next weeks
> my time will be very limited (I am becoming a father very soon),

Ahhh, that's always nice to hear!  All the best to you and your wife
(me hoping to become a grandfather in the next couple of years ;-)).

> and I
> would very much like to take part in a meeting there. So, if we can
> delay a personal or online meeting a bit,... till March or so?

Perhaps for the moment some IRC meeting might do as well.  You decide
whether this might be on a to be created #debian-astronomy or just
on #debian-science.