Re: Looking for a sponsor for some robotics related packages

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:35:53PM +0100, Anton Gladky wrote:
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> 2014/1/11 Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero@osrfoundation.org>:
>> > I'm done with upstream. Green light by my side to upload urdfdom,
>> > urdfdom-headers and sdformat, if the case of you find them in a good shape.
>>
>> urdfdo* should be repacked due to dfsg. But get-orig-source as far as I see
>> just downloads them without removing non-dfsg files. Please, describe also
>> in README.source what exactly was removed.
>
> Risking that I'm repeating myself I'd like to recommend not to use
> README.source but rather the Files-Excluded field in debian/copyright.
> Than you can use latest uscan without any additional get-orig-source.
>
>> > BTW, thanks for taking care of console-bridge. Double checking the QA
>> > page I found that if fails to build in some platforms[1] due to problem
>> > with symbol checking. How would you recommend to fix this? Optional symbols?
>>
>> Sorry, I can not help you on that. I am personally not using symbols in any
>> of my libs.
>
> I also admit that if I really created symbols files this leaded to 50%
> failures on different architectures.  I'm not sure whether the pros are
> stronger as the cons for symbols files.

Sorry to answer lately.
I am happy to see that some of the packages are getting uploaded Jose.

I was the one who initially suggested we use symbols files for these packages.
On this point I forwarded some advices I got when I was packaging ViSP but after
discussion with my sponsor, we reached the conclusion it was not maintainable.

I.e. even if you reach a state where the symbols are fine on all platforms, any
rebuild will most likely fail at least on some platforms so this is
not really manageable
unless I miss something with symbols files.
In particular, it is not doable IMHO if you are not yourself a DD
given the number of
upload needed to get a package right.

Therefore, I withdraw what I said to you in private last time if it
seems that symbols files
are causing you troubles. Sorry about that.
It is as easy as removing d/*.symbols, you should also drop the
dependency on pkg-kde-tools
which is now unnecessary and d/rules, remove the "--with
pkgkde_symbolshelper" in the
line invoking dh. See [1] for details.

After you do that, the next upload should allow the package to be
built on all architectures.

[1] http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2012-01/008.html
--
Thomas Moulard