Re: Maintaining yorick in Vcs at debian.org

Thibaut Paumard <mlotpot.news@free.fr> writes:
>  - Yorick is only distributed from github (no distinct tarballs, just
>    git tags). It has to be repackaged to meet the DFSG. What I was
>    experimenting with on github is:
>      - one branch mirroring upstream (contains non-DFSG-free material);
>      - one branch for the DFSG free source;
>      - one branch for the Debian packaging.
>    Is that a reasonable approach for Alioth or should the non-DFSG-free
>    files never enter the debian.org domain?

I have mainly the same problem with saods9, but I think that it is
reasonable to have non-dfsg-free files there (as long as they are
allowed to be published there at all).

For saods9, I have some files that are confuscated but stated as
"GPL" -- they need to be removed. I take the opportunity to remove all
other files that are not needed (code duplicated from other packages
that are in Debian) to make the source tarball significantly smaller.

The decision what goes into the tarball and what is left out is a
significant part of the packaging process, and I need the git support
for that.

BTW, is there a good hint on the branch organization for this? I created
an "upstream" branch and an "upstream+dfsg" branch that merges on every
upstream version.

Best

Ole