Re: Maintaining yorick in Vcs at debian.org (Was: RFS: yorick/2.2.02+dfsg-2)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:50:54PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> >>   Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this command:
> >>
> >>     dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/y/yorick/yorick_2.2.02+dfsg-2.dsc
> >
> > I wonder why you do not maintain the package at git.debian.org.  This
> > would make for sponsors and other team members way easier.  I tried
> >
> >    debcheckout --user tille yorick
> >
> > but failed becuase Vcs-Git points to github.com where I do not have any
> > login nor could I commit some changes.  For the sake of getting the
> > metapackage which I do consider very interesting I would make some
> > exception and would consider sponsering it anyway but otherwise I would
> > probably insist in sticking to Debian Science policy and ask for using a
> > debian.org hosted Vcs.  Would you consider a move or do you want to
> > stick to the current location for the moment?
> >

> Hi Andreas,
>
> The reason is I never invested enough time to understand how to do that
> (or even how to properly package under git). I haven't pushed my changes
> to github yet.

So I just uploaded the package as is to get the metapackage in.

> Note that at the moment the package is not under the debian science
> packaging team umbrella. And this is also mostly because I was unsure
> how to proceed.
>
> I would be willing to go in that direction in the future, of course.

I would definitely ask for this.  Please try to follow Debian Science
policy[1] closely and use the debian.org infrastructure to enable
effective team maintenance.

Further things to consider:  I'm not a user of yorick but from my
feeling it would be rather typical to name the metapackage "yorick" and
the former yorick package "yorick-base" (or something like this).  I
left it as is for the moment because I assume you will have your reasons
to do it that way but you might consider this for future releases.

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html