Re: RFS: viennacl

On Wed 10 Aug 2011 12:20:39 AM CEST, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> [...]
>>
>> Ok, uploaded a new version to mentors (1.1.2-6). These are the changes:
>>
>> - During the build all generated files get deleted and recreated.
>> However, I don't delete the files in the override_dh_clean target, as
>> this breaks git-buildpackage. I do it in the override_dh_build target
>> instead.
>>
>> - Updated debian/watch
>>
>> - Completed debian/copyright with the info about CL/* and
>> external/pugixml/src/*.
>>
> [...]
>
> Thanks a lot for fixing all those remaining issues! I've now built, signed, and
> uploaded your package.
>
> I've only got one concern left: all of the tests fail with
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'viennacl::ocl::unknown_error'
>
> I'm only semi-worried about that as the machine I'm building on likely doesn't
> have the necessary hardware support, but it would still be nice to figure out
> whether there is a real bug or just a problem with the test suite. At the very
> least, better diagnostics should be provided.
>
> Best,
> Michael

In my case only one single test fails, but I was reassured by upstream
that this is a problem of my laptop having a GPU that is just not up to
the task. Probably the issue is similar in your case.

What do you have in mind about the diagnostics? I could think of first
checking whether the GPU supports OpenCL and only then run the tests.
Otherwise it would print a message. I'll talk to upstream and see
whether they have a suggestion on how to detect GPU programming support
a priori.

Michael