Re: Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 06:32:48PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> > c) I haven't noticed that many user-level discussions anyway.  What
> > problem are we trying to solve here?  Have user discussions been impeded
> > by packaging discussions? Is it the intention of the proposal to
> > encourage more user discussion by shifting out all packaging discussion?
> Exactly.

While I *personally* do not have a problem with the current situation I
agree with Sylvestre that currently debian-science@l.d.o is not kind of
missing link between developers and users.  Because I think we should
establish such a place and this list seems to be a good candidate it
might be reasonable to move pure packaging related questions to the
Alioth list.

However, I do not see a practical way to force this policy on list members.
So writing it explicitely down in the Debian Science policy document and
kindly directing people to the other list might be a good idea but there
is no way to forbid packaging questions here.