Re: OCE -- OpenCASCADE Community Edition

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 16:32 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le jeudi 19 mai 2011 à 10:16 -0400, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :
> > Dear Debian Scientists,
>
> > The question to Debian is: do we package OCC or OCE?  If OCE, do we
> > change the name, or just trust that the changes are minor and fully
> > compatible?  If the changes are just minor, then do we just gather the
> > git patches in debian/patches?
> It is a good news!
> I think we should package it but we will probably have to change the
> name to avoid confusion for users...
>
> However, we will have to make sure OCE is not diverging from upstream
> too much..

So I guess this depends on which direction the project takes.

My understanding is that this is just for providing issue tracking and
bug fixes where upstream has dropped the ball.  The most ambitious
change people have suggested is to switch from autotools to cmake.  And
the plan is to incorporate all upstream releases into it.

Given all this, I don't see a reason to change the name of the Debian
package.  Even a build system change leaves the bulk of the code the
same, all of the interfaces remain the same, etc., so does the name
really need to change?

If there are new features or incompatible changes -- even fixes which
change the behavior to match the design or documentation -- then that's
a different story...

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/